Accessory Assemblage for One Hour Wargames.

OHW games are played on a 3′ x 3′ square so it was logical to buy a battlemat of that size (pictured in the header above). After shopping around a bit I choose this one from I am very well pleased with it, it being of very good material and excellent color palette and design. I was also impressed with their service. I ordered shortly after Christmas (2016) and received it only a bit more than two weeks later, in fact I received it a couple days before they had told me they would probably ship it!

In the time before its arrival, I assembled four (two Napoleonic and two ECW) armies from old 25/28mm figures I had in storage AND made all the other accessories I would need for play.

I’ll do a post or two on the armies at some later point but first the accessories. I did not want to invest much time (the armies took enough) on this task plus I tend to like a toy-like aesthetic for many of the things I do. For me the game really is the thing. Cheap. Cheap is also good.

I first made a 3′ x  3′ (in four 1.5′ x 1.5′ sections) out of sheets of foam core laminated together. This provides a very light and portable surface that can be placed on any small table to support the battlemat. I glued rigid plastic tubing on the edges to hold thick acrylic rods to keep the edges from bending even if the board is extended beyond the edges of a table.

In going through the OHW senarios, I decided that four basic hill shapes would cover all of them and only Scenario One required two hills of the same size and shape giving five hills total. I made them out of foamcore using two levels as in the OHW maps. I used a photo of the battlemat that was on order and tried to match some of the pattern and color palette with tube acrylics:


The rest of the terrain needed (except the roads) are made up on 4″ x 4″ x 1/8″ birch plywood squares. I did an inventory of all the scenario maps and ran up an appropriate number of each type.

For doing the woods I bought a few packs of roughly HO scale pine trees (billed as a Christmas trees) on the day after Christmas. They were REALLY cheap. The ground cover was made from light green Select Grip latex shelf liner:


After an extensive excavation into the eaves of our garage I found some of my old (Heljan) HO building to use in constructing the town modules. I have since made some extra blank ones also to accomidate any of my 10mm buildings when using that scale. The paving is made from grey self liner (as above).


The roads are 1′ x 1.5″ strips of the brown shelf liner. The mottled green squares will do double duty as either marsh or lake ( OK, weed-choked lake). The rivers are obviously painted on and two extras were needed to make the fords required in some scenarios:


That left only a couple of bridges and I decided that I could get buy with using the ones I use in my 10mm games. They are actually not scaled and were sold on Amazon as suitable for outdoor fairy gardens. I don’t know what that means exactly but I like their looks.

After playing a very rough test game I decided I also needed markers to keep track of who was shooting and who was attacking (both of which can be flipped to indicate that all the necessary resolution has been performed). I usually use cotton wool for shooting (it looks really good in photos) but I decided on a cartoon cloud instead).


I ended the flurry of quick and dirty work by making a measurement stick and putting together a kit containing dice and various other markers (de rigueur for each major rules set in my world of wargaming).

I managed to pump all these stuff out over about a week, working on it a couple hours a day. It’s not diorama quality but it will serve.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s